Friday, December 01, 2006

25 days of Christmas and a look back at 2006

Well, it's December 1st. It's hard to believe...and I know I say that every year this time. But seriously, is my life on some kind of turbo setting that I'm not aware of? I'm turning 30 in just over a month. And trust me, that's a whole 'nother post for another day! But it's just another proof in my life that I'll blink and be 82. Sigh.

On that note, I'm going to attempt a new tradition this year. Just a Becky tradition, but it will involve others. I'm going to try to celebrate the spirit of Christmas in some special kind of way each day leading up to the 25th. I've already done the celebrating for today -- be looking for my next post! I have absolutely no idea what this tradition will entail, but I'm gonna give it a whirl. I just really want to stop and smell the pine needles. Before I'm 82. Double-sigh.

Now, for looking back at 2006...so much good, but some ickies, too. Which is why I think I'm feeling relief at this chapter ending -- it's been a full year and I'm ready for the sense of renewal that comes when you get to turn over a new page on a new chapter. So, without further ado, here was my 2006 (at least as captured on my blog):

*I started blogging! For a trip down memory lane, see my first post.
*On SuperBowl Sunday, I found out my sister was pregnant...with her 4th baby in 5 years. Oh my!
*I became a missionary, both in body and in heart (trust me, there's a distinction!). I fell in love with the beautiful children of Guatemala and with the amazing Christian brothers and sisters we have there.
*I went back to being part-time with my job. Probably one of the best decisions of 2006!
*We decided to sell our house.
*I had a really great summer: I went with my entire family to meet Thomas the Train, celebrated my 7th wedding anniversary, dined at a real tea room with my mama and sisters, witnessed the wedding of two dear friends.
*I found out my best friend is pregnant!
*I witnessed the birth of my nephew. I personally think everyone on the planet should see a birth, regardless of your gross-out factor. Nothing compares to the experience. Nothing.
*We decided to NOT sell our house. Big smile on my face just typing that.
*I hurt my back. Probably the most annoying health problem I've ever had.
*As if I didn't have enough to do already, I started another blog.
*And as if I hadn't had enough unpleasant and entirely random weird health experiences, I added to my growing log of medical misadventures.

Okay, I know that my life in review was not terribly exciting, but well, it's This Girl's Life and it's remarkable to her! And well, that's it, at least until December 31st, when I'll come back in and add anything of note to this post (here's hoping it's more of a "silent night" kind of December than a "jingle bell rock" kind, so I can quietly transition into 2007 without incident!).

No comments: