Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Part-time is the best!

How did I ever cope with a full-time job? Well, the answer is, of course, not very well at all. I always seemed to be dragging myself through the week, just hanging on for the weekend, when I could finally sleep and then sit by myself for a while and have a good "think." I know this must sound spoiled and bratty of me, but it's the honest-to-goodness truth: I'm a girl who needs time to herself! And I know all my friends would laughingly agree. Yes, I see you all nodding your heads right now.

Thing is, I used to really fight this about myself. I used to see it as a serious flaw in my nature. I used to describe myself as inherently lazy! However, I've really been re-evaluating my perception of myself in this way. You know, God makes us who we are for very specific reasons. So instead of wondering why I'm a person who needs a rested mind and a relaxed body in order to function at my very best, I think I'll just embrace that and do what it takes to give myself...a rested mind and a relaxed body! It's no accident that God worked it out for me to go part-time with my job, and how easy it was to request it and be granted it by my bosses (even though I was terrified to ask). You see, I've been wanting to write a book (well, okay, books plural!!!) for a long time, and I know that God has opened the door for me to do so. And in doing so, He also provided a way for me to get the sleep and rest that I need in order to have a mind that can focus and think and concentrate and most importantly, LISTEN to what the Lord is telling me.

So, gone are the days of doping myself up with inordinate amounts of caffeine just to stay awake. Gone are the days of frying my brain at work 40 hours a week, using all my mental energies, only to come home and be brain-dead for the evening and completely useless to my husband and myself. Gone are the days of going through the motions, literally dreaming of Saturday mornings when I could get off the merry-go-round and have a LIFE.

You know, I really look up to and respect the people who, as I've realized, God has blessed with abundant stores of energy for their jobs and ALSO their families and lives outside of the corporate world. But I've also realized, it's not a bad thing to not be able to group myself in that category. God made me this way. And God provided an out. I'm truly, truly thankful for who I am, who God intended me to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean Sar and I can't call you Princess anymore? ;)

Just kidding. I am very happy for you that you are able to work part-time. I also would love to have more time for my home, my husband, and myself, but God clearly has a different plan in mind for me, and I am honestly okay with putting in 40 hours a week. It allows me to pursue my education and lets Christopher and I have such luxuries as our new dining room set (we can finally have people over now!!!). I think it is just awesome how well God knows His children, how He gives what He knows each can handle, and how He blesses.