Tuesday, March 21, 2006

My Shadae
(pronounced "shuh-dye")
I can barely look at this picture without tears streaming down my face. Of all the "ninos preciosos" (precious children) that I had the privilege of meeting in Guatemala, this was the one I would have packed in a suitcase and carried home without batting an eyelash. This little sweet pea is only 6 years old, but there is already a lot of knowledge in her eyes. And by "knowledge" I don't mean intellectual...there was something deeply troubling this little girl. I have no idea what it was, but I do know that most of the kids we ministered to came from broken homes, and that abuse (of all kinds) is common. I wish I'd had more language so that I could have communicated better, but I gave her the language that is universal...I held her hand, sat with her on my lap, carried her around like a baby, kissed her cheeks, and said "Te amo" (I love you) to her every single day I had the opportunity to spend with her. Of course, I had a jillion other little ones who wanted (and craved) my attention, so I couldn't spend as much time with her as I would have liked. In any case, I will be looking for my sweet Shadae the next time I am in Guatemala, and I hope to have more Spanish by that time so that I can tell her that I will always be available for her, and that I will help her in any way I can. Please, please say a prayer for her, that she will be delivered from whatever is hurting her, that angels will watch over her, and that most importantly, that she will come to know Jesus, who will be her Rescuer and Savior if she will ask Him.

No comments: