Sunday, October 08, 2006

I just found this...

in my draft archive and I can't believe I forgot to finish it and post it! Anyway, here 'tis:

Maria
This is my beloved friend and spiritual mentor, Maria.














She's married to this guy. He is Pastor Mario, and together they lead our sister church, Zoar, in Guatemala City. (Aren't they so cute?)















Do you ever instantly fall in love with someone? I did with Maria. Let's just say that after I got off the plane to Guatemala (those of you who know me just shuddered in revulsion at the mood you're picturing me in...), I was a zombie from all the Xanax and lack of sleep and basically, just wanted my mom and my bed. But Maria was the first one to greet me, and in her I instantly saw a mother, someone who already loved me. How could she already love me, you ask? This is how: she has been praying for me for 2 solid years and I just met her in March.

Words can't express the magnitude of the gentle wisdom that she imparted to me while I was with her. Her faith in God is palpable. You're with her for 5 minutes and you feel like a stronger believer because of her strength.

I miss her so much! Every time I hear her voice on my answering machine or over the phone, I well up in tears and get choked up, because she's my Guatemalan mama. She and Mario and their kiddos are supposed to try to come up this month, and I'm praying that it works out!

Here's a shot of me, Maria, and Dawn in Antigua, just having fun together!

No comments: