Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My other sweeties

This is Cesar (pronounced "say-zar"). I met him in the courtyard on our first day of the VBS during his recess/playtime. Our group was just mingling with the kids, getting to know them as they were playing. They had music blaring from the second floor and Cesar was dancing to himself, having a good ole time. I decided to join him and he thought I was hilarious, so we danced together, both of us giggling. After awhile he ran away and I started playing with more children. Then Cesar came running back, carrying the pop that you can see on the chair to my right. I didn't realize for a minute that he was offering it to me, and I thanked him for it. Then someone whispered in my ear that Cesar had bought me that pop with his only money...probably his allowance for the day or even the whole week. I wanted to bawl on the spot but caught myself, knowing that that would just confuse him, so I smiled broadly and gave him a big hug, and then picked him up and smooched him and told him, "Gracias Cesar, mi bambino!" And he got embarrassed in such a cute way because the other fellas his age were pointing at us and laughing, so he ran away again. However, throughout the rest of the week, he would find me and we would dance and he would want his hug and to be called "mi bambino."

This is Alex. This little guy was a pretty emotional little man. He was just as quick with tears as he was with a smile. But, since I'm a pretty emotional girl, he got the sympathy vote with me and I stuck to him pretty closely throughout the week. At one point on Thursday I found him crying in a corner and it turns out another boy had accidentally kicked him and he was just heartbroken about it! I don't think the teachers wanted me coddling him as much as I did, but I honestly couldn't help it. He had tears the size of his eyeballs and I just really wanted him to smile his adorable smile instead. Here's us, just hanging out, and I have him grinning in this picture, yay!






This is a darling little 5-month-old named Gabriella Nicole (her mama and granddaddy called her "Nicole"). I met her mama, who was recovering from surgery, just before this picture was taken, and she was so kind to let me (and several of us) hold and love on her beautiful little baby. You can't see it in this picture, but Nicole has gold hoop earrings in her teeny-tiny little ears, and she was wearing this soft green crocheted sweater. She had the most expressive eyes and I just couldn't get enough of her. I kept thinking, "Man, do I ever want to adopt from this country!" Every time I look at this picture, I have the same thoughts. Guatemala has the most gorgeous children in the world!

5 comments:

Terri said...

Wow, Becky. What an amazing experience! Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

b, i love it! i knew you would have an incredible time there. more, more!

Anonymous said...

Sign me up to go on the next trip. Seriously. I'll have to get over my fear of flying. If I make it, great. If not, I'll be with Jesus anyway. I want to go.

Becky said...

I plan to share a whole lot more, so keep checking back! It seemed like I was having epiphanies every 5 minutes and life-changing experiences left and right. There's so much I'm still processing, but I'm determined to capture much of it here in my blog!

Becky said...

Also, just wanted to say that I hate flying. Period. But it was worth it, even to have a couple of panic attacks and some truly miserable moments on some very bumpy rides. I'd do it again. I'd go back tomorrow if I could.