Wednesday, March 07, 2007

these are a few of my favorite things, part 2

Since my first post about favorite things featured antiques, I thought I'd go with a "b" word for this second post (although I don't know if I can cover the entire alphabet, but we'll see...)

For my second post, I'd like to discuss a favorite of mine: beauty products. When I was in high school and in charge of tooling myself and my sister Katie about town, there used to be a huge pharmacy-type warehouse just down the street from my school, called Phar-Mor (remember that, Worm?). It wasn't so much Katie's thing at the time, but I used to talk her into letting me stop there for a little bit...the automatic door would usher me in, I'd grab a basket and place it in the crook of my arm, and...start strolling down aisle after aisle of products that promised to make me healthier (eh) and/or more beautiful (yes, please!). With a couple of twenties earned from babysitting on Saturday nights burning a hole in my purse, I'd carefully weigh my choices...should I spend it all on one bottle of perfume or go for a whole slew of Cover Girl cosmetics??? Oh, decisions, decisions. But never was I happier to be in such a quandary. And my Caboodle was chock-full of products that would make beauty queens jealous and southern belles proud...oh that Caboodle. It was hot pink and had 3 layers that would fold out and practically whisper to me of the beauty we could create together...

But I digress. I was in Ulta today with my friend Jen and I started to have these wonderful memories of my Phar-Mor days...it's been awhile since I let myself liberally spend money on beauty products, but a little bonus from work suddenly felt like babysitting money all over again. So, I let myself. A cylinder of Clinique Happy perfume, a tube of Blistex chapstick/lip gloss, a jug of Johnson's baby oil, a jar of Andrea's Eye-Qs eye makeup remover pads, and a bottle of Cetaphil face wash later, and oh, about three twenties lighter (inflation? hehe), I emerged with a huge smile on my face and...I think I heard something whispering to me of potential beauty all wrapped up in a pretty bag in my hands.

So after all these years of experimenting with beauty products (yeah, high school wasn't, er, last year), what are the best ones out there? Well, I'm still experimenting and sadly, still being disappointed (that whispering voice doesn't exactly always tell the truth!). However, there are the tried-and-true products that have passed the test of time and products that have recently won me over:

1. If there's anything I've tested 8 million different products of, it's foundation. And after, ooh, about 12 years of wearing liquid foundations, I finally found the dream foundation. Literally. It's Maybelline's "dream matte mousse" foundation, and it goes on so light and airy and not all messy and greasy like liquid foundations. This foundation lets you apply just what you need and no more. You don't have to rub and blend and all that bother -- it really just smooths on, quick as a wink, and you're done. And it stays on all day. And doesn't make your face shiny. And doesn't clog your pores. Have I said yet that I love this foundation???



2. Just recently I was having my hair done at Robert's (another indulgence) and I was testing out a new stylist and while she was washing my hair, she asked me what shampoo I'd been using. Why, SunSilk -- "get hairapy" shampoo, of course! Then she gently suggested I give up cheap, mass-marketed shampoos and conditioners forever and just invest in good quality products. I said, why, is my hair gross? And she said, of course not, it's very clean...it's just that I can feel build-up. Well, I wasn't sure that I believed her until...I invested in some good quality hair products. After an hour of perusing the shelves in the Beauty Brands store, I finally decided on the Bain de Terre products and can I say, they've won a customer for life. My hair has never felt cleaner, never felt lighter and healthier. My stylist was right. Please, for the love of your manes, give up your cheap-o Suave crap and just buy some good hair products!!!


3. Another product I've recently fallen for is the Revlon ColorStay duos. I was intrigued by the idea of having a "salon-looking" manicure for an eighth of the cost, and these little buddies did not disappoint. I do my nails once a week, and this is the first set of nail polish and sealants that have withstood all the hand-washings, showers, baths, dishes, bangs, scrapes, and all the various sorts of torture my nails usually go through! In fact, I loved the "always vintage" color so much that I went out and bought the "always pink chiffon" color and love that one even more!





4. My first experience with Burt's Bees lip balm was actually in the hospital a few years ago. My dear friend Julie brought me a care package with all kinds of goodies, and this chapstick was among them. I tried it right then and there and was so impressed by the pleasant minty aroma and the long-lasting smooth and creamy balm. Now I use it every night after I brush my teeth, and my lips are soft and still smooth in the mornings!


5. I'll end this post with perhaps my favorite beauty products of all -- bath products! If there ever should be a job designed for me, it would be testing bath supplies... Anyway, here are two of my favorites, Caress and Johnson's Bedtime Bath for Baby. My mama has always used Caress and even now when I use it, I am filled with such cozy warm fuzzies. The sweet and light fragrance is just enough to make your skin smell good without smelling perfumey. And I can't say enough good things about Johnson's baby products. Baby bath oils, soap, powder, lotion -- it's all good. You know why? Because it's so mild. Human skin LOVES mild...a good thing to learn and remember!!!
















Now, before I take off, I would love to know if anybody else has some tried-and-true favorites? Some beauty products you just can't live without? Please, do tell!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to have a phar-mor!

It was fun shopping with you yesterday! I have a slew of favorites. I already showed you my new skin regime-philosphy's makeup optional kit. I also love the urban decay eye shadow primer potion I bought yesterday. Sadly (or not), I have to return it because my tube was broken. :( I'm sure I have more, but that's good for now!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this post, Wormie! And, yes, I do remember trips to Phar-Mor! And the Caboodles! They're like banana bikes - you haven't really lived unless you've owned one!

Well, I totally agree with you about the foundation. You've definitely got me hooked on the dream matte - I won't use anything else. As for the shampoo. . .I confess that I have bottles of Suave shampoo and conditioner in my shower right now. I'm a hopeless case when it comes to beauty. I never had the knack like you do.

Probably my only tried-and-true product would be Johnson's baby powder. I put it on every day after I take a bath/shower. It always reminds me of being a little girl - playing outside in the summer, coming in for a bath and a splash of baby powder, and then settling in for a nice long nap, the sound of the whirring fan lulling me to sleep. Those were the days.

Becky said...

Oh Worm, just the description of those fabulous naps has me yawning and wishing for those hot summer days again!!!

Anonymous said...

I was intrigued by the nail color review. I love the look of painted nails, but since I am so hard on my hands, the polish comes off within hours.

This was a fun and informative post.Thanks for sharing.

Akron Grove Bath Products said...

I read your blog today and it is very informative and well written. I feel your readers could benefit from naturally made bath products such as we make at our home based business "Akron Grove Bath Products". As an entrepreneur yourself I know you realize the importance exposure is to a business such as ours, with our non-existant advertizing budget so I'm going to ask you right out if you could put a few kind words about us in your blog. I have enclosed a link to a local newspaper article written about us if you are interested in seeing who we are.
http://www.tonawanda-news.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_086092049.html

Deena Peterson said...

I finally found the foundation of my dreams (LOL!)...by Beauticontrol...as if I had enough beauty that I needed to control it HA!
I love Aveeno's calming bath products....I can be a cranky, old grouch before I get in the tub...but after a good, long soak I'm a CLEAN cranky, old grouch;-)
JK...it is very soothing!