Sunday, February 25, 2007

live-blogging the Oscars

I hate to admit this publically, although I'm not exactly what you'd call "in the closet" about it...I'm fascinated with Hollywood. How truly superficial and generic of me, I know! But don't judge me...I took film classes in college so I think that technically makes me...academically interested? (nice try, huh?)

Anyway, I'm watching the Oscars right now and Jennifer Hudson just won in her category. How exciting was that? And I'm so relieved she took that capelet thingey off!

I've always loved the Oscars. Even used to throw Oscar parties at my house every year but the content got to be so offensive at times that I couldn't watch the show in front of my parents without wanting to die of embarrassment. Although I have to say, they've cleaned it up in the last couple of years so I might throw out the ole red carpet again next year...

I'm a big fan of lists, so here's my top 10 list (so far) on all things Academy Awards 2007:
  1. Is Cameron Diaz wearing a dress made of notebook paper glued together? Ick.
  2. Ellen is funny, funny, funny. I don't hold my breath every time she opens her mouth, waiting for some tacky, offensive, or just plain stupid comment to come spewing forth (ahemWhoopieGoldbergahem).
  3. Is anybody else weirded out by the fact that when Tom Cruise took the stage, you could see Nicole Kidman in the audience, and she was clapping? Poor thing, you probably have to clap, no matter what. Don't worry honey, you traded up, whereas Tom...
  4. Okay, the Al-Gore-Uber-LoveFest-'07 was giggle-worthy the first couple of times, but dang, people. Get OVER it.
  5. I hate how we the audience has to sit through 18 completely forgettable categories just to get to 1 exciting moment, which is then promptly cut off by an anxious orchestra!
  6. I do believe my favorite moment so far was the unexpected but hysterical performance by Will Farrell, Jack Black, and John C. Riley.
  7. I get made fun of this all the time, but I will forever be in love with the magical voice of Celine Dion.
  8. Regardless of my own fascination with Hollywood, I can't get over how deeply in love Hollywood is...with itself. It can get extremely nauseating. Which is probably why they have that anxious orchestra on hand, come to think of it...
  9. Why-oh-why do they nominate children for Oscars? Yeah, it's cute -- for like 2 seconds! And then you have to watch the poor things sit through a lengthy presentation that most adults barely find stimulating after the first few awards!
  10. And finally, what is UP with those weird contortionist/interpretive dancer/carnie folk behind the curtains people? You gotta wonder sometimes, about the decision-making that goes into these things..."Yeah, I had this great idea of using silhouetted out-of-work Broadway dancers to contort their limbs into representations of the nominated best films!"
Anybody else have anything they love/hate about the Oscars this year?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

points for Scorcese (spelling?) FINALLY winning. It's about time. I just wish O'Connell had won for sound engineering. I think he's been nominated something like 19 times and never won. Poor kid. He deserves an Oscar JUST for being nominated that many times!!! I second the motion about Ellen. LOVE her. If I were home at 10:00 during the week - I would so watch her talk show. :) And finally, on the note of red carpet clothing, Nicole Kidman wins. Classy red, covered her woman parts and still showed off her remarkable shape. points. :) (Okay if you didn't figure it out by now, I too am slightly all about the Oscars...I will so go to your party next year!)

em

Anonymous said...

I agree with Emily. Nicole Kidman's was probably my favorite dress of the night. I also liked Reese Witherspoon's - the deep purple and the slanty ruffle thing on the bottom half - very classy. I only watched the arrivals - I'm more of a fashion guru than an actual awards guru. P.S. to JLo: the Grecian goddess thing was SO Golden Globes! Catch up! And for anyone who wore metallic colors - hi, it was done at the SAG awards! (Okay, if we're making confessions here, I admit that I watch E! Fashion Police.) :)

Anonymous said...

This is hysterical!! I laughed all the way through. You should submit this post to the humor carnival at http://www.bobbarama.com/carnival

Becky said...

Thanks Polliwog! I think I'm funny but most others disagree. :)