Friday, February 16, 2007

these are a few of my favorite things

It's high time for a light-hearted post, so here I go...

We all have our favorites in life. And as I've discovered, our favorites tend to change and evolve as we age. If you read this blog even semi-occasionally, you know that I adore my "staples" in life: coffee, books, massages, etc. However, I think I've neglected some of my other favorites...and hey, it's always fun to focus on the things that make us feel comforted and happy! So in no particular order...

*Antiques. I adore antiquing. In fact, after my recent weeks of sadness and silence, Adam took me antiquing on a Saturday afternoon and I can't even put into words the joy of being distracted by lovely old things!
I have Kate to thank for my new obsession with antiques...she lives just down the street from a 3-story building that's basically a warehouse of antiques. And good antiques at that (yes, there are levels of quality in antiques!). What started out as merely an outing with my dearest friend became a treasure-hunt process for myself! Now I'm crushed if we don't make it to Norma's Antiques when I'm in Michigan visiting.
So here are a few of my favorites...




















I bought this Brandenburg lace shower curtain at the Franklin Antique Mall for $19. I also bought a set of lamps (one of them shown here) for $30 together...I rewired them myself! (Home Depot really does back up the whole "you can do it, we can help" motto!)





















I love milk glass (the creamy white glass that you can't really find brand-new anymore). These candlesticks were a Christmas present from my sister Sarah...I adore them. The teacup and saucer were a birthday present from Kate...purchased at Norma's! I started this collection just a few months ago...there's just something about drinking tea in clear glass, something about it makes the experience more, I don't know, aesthetically pleasing?

Anyway, I'm suddenly out of time, but more favorites to come!

UPDATE!: I was just browsing some of my favorite blogs and I found that another blogger, BigMama, has been listing some of her favorite things as well! I swear, this was a complete coincidence, but what a funny one!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've found something that you enjoy so much, Wormie. It is definitely not me. The Monk in me can't stand the thought of buying something that's not new. I have to have fresh. My husband, on the other hand, enjoys bringing home random crap from garage sales and putting them on display in our home. Call me a snob if you want. I'm okay with that.

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun.

I especially like your candleholders. My gram used to have a great collection of milk glass.

I'm glad you hade a good day too.

Big Mama said...

Becky, you and I are kindred spirits. I love antique shopping. Just the idea of all those hidden treasures gets me so excited!

Anonymous said...

There is this huge antique mall in Greenfield and I've been dying to go there lately. Every time I happen to be in Greenfield, Tony is with me and his eyes start to glaze over when we walk in there. You and I should make a Saturday of it sometime!

Unknown said...

"Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on kittens; bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens..." I felt the need to break out in song for your post. :P Keep the optimism high!

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

Becky,

Thanks for your sweet comment on my site tonight. I came home from class at seminary feeling discouraged.

I.e. What am I doing here? What good will I ever do from this? Am I even smart enough to go to sem?

Sometimes the "vibe" from some of the guys gets to me. I know it is my problem, I don't have to accept their chauvanistic views.

My sleep will be easier becasue of your visit. Thanks.

Susan

emily ann. said...

No - nothing is engulfed in flames or burned to a crisp! :) However, my Home Comforts book was ever so helpful in learning how to A: clean the oven, B: get wax out of a table cloth and C: remove tar stains from husbands kackis! I LOVE the book!!! Seriously, my Sidekick of Home-making - complete with appropriate yellow coloring! :)