Monday, December 04, 2006

On the fourth day of Christmas...

I reflected on my favorite Christmas carol...

Oh holy night!
The stars are brightly shining
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth!
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
I always think about how nature must groan under the weight of sin, how the world must be so drastically different from the beautiful planet that God the Creator formed and set in motion...
Till he appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
I am struck by the fact that the human soul has no relevance, no meaning, no value or purpose without the redeeming grace of the Saviour who appeared that night!
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
I love how the word "thrill" is used in this lyric; it sends shivers up and down my skin. I think of the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem, how the Bible says that if man did not rejoice, then even the rocks would cry out in praise of the Saviour! How the Creation must have indeed felt a thrill that night, knowing that ultimate restoration to the Creator was finally beginning!!!
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!
I think of the verse in the Psalms that encourages us to "hold on, for joy comes in the morning." I have always treasured the absolute hope encapsulated in the promise of morning, the promise of an end to pain and suffering. And that promise was delivered to us that night!

Fall on your knees
I feel in awe of the holiness and majesty and beauty of God made flesh...
Oh hear the angel voices
Oh night divine
Oh night when Christ was born
Oh night divine
Oh night divine

Truly He taught us to love one another
His law is love and His gospel is peace
Love came down to Earth when we should have been forsaken; peace was given to us when we deserved chaos and despair!
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother
Anyone who has ever felt enslaved by sin rejoices in these words...
And in His name all oppression shall cease
Have you ever cried out His name in a moment of pure terror or anguish? If you have, you have felt the truth of this lyric!
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.
My heart swells with gratitude here...praises to you, oh holy Jesus, who loved us enough to take on the humble form of man and dwell among us, to give us life and hope and redemption!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my favorite Christmas carol too, Becky! Although I've never really thought about it like you have. I really appreciated your reflections. It gives the song a whole new meaning to me!

Kristen said...

My absolute FAVORITE Christmas song! I don't know that any other song encapsulates the meaning of the holiday better than that one. I'll take a good ole Rudolph or Frosty with my cocoa any time (especially with a candy cane in it), but when I really want to be thankful I pull up this one in the iPod. And if you want to enjoy it for all it's worth try Martina McBride's version on her "White Christmas" album. Now that'll give you a shiver! Thanks for your beautiful thoughts on this frozen December morning, Beck!