Sunday, December 03, 2006

On the third day of Christmas...

I realized how quickly I will be running out of ideas to do this series of posts!

Today was not the greatest day to find a special way to celebrate Christmas, as I was in bed most of the day with...something. Sort of a mix between a headache and that day-before-the-flu-hits feeling. But I felt better this evening so I went around the house, cleaning up and doing some more arranging and decorating -- I'm hosting a bridal shower here a week from today, so I want it to look as cozy and festive as possible! In puttering around the house and thinking what the heck could I write about, I realized that there is such a simple pleasure in annually adorning your house with cherished and beautiful objects. For example, the picture at the top features a candle set that my mother-in-law just gave me last week. Very pretty, especially in my red and white and oak kitchen!

Then there is my little New England Village (one of those Department 56 collections). I just started collecting 2 years ago, and every year I'm trying to funnel some of my Christmas money from my grandparents into this set. So every year when they come over, I show them what their dollars have bought for me, and they take genuine pleasure in seeing my pleasure at having such an adorable decoration. Thank you Mamaw and Papaw!!!















And here are our stockings. I remember just agonizing over finding just the right stockings for me and Adam! Does anyone else ridiculously over-think purchases like that??? However, I am so darn fond of these dangling socks...




















Then more evidence of my bow-tying frenzy this year:




















And finally, a little game for you: "Which one of these is not like the other?" Seriously. How can you bring home 2 plants the same day, feed them the same amounts at the same time, and end up with such drastically different results? Note to self: red poinsettias don't like you, Becky.

3 comments:

ashley said...

Becky, I'm loving your series here! I also must admit, when I scrolled down and saw the second poinsetta I laughed! Poor Becky. Plants in general don't like me either, so I have a fake poinsetta. (They're also poisonous to kitties, another reason for me to get a fake one.)

I really love the candles in the window. I'm glad your headache is better!!

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

Okay, so posting isn't my gift in life. Sorry for the delete...I had this freak-out over a spelling mistake and in turn deleted the whole darn thing. Argh. Anyway, the sentiment was one of appreciation for your little daily reminder to slow down and remember the reason why I'm decorating, helping little ones glue glitter on Christmas paper chains and frantically checking gifts off the list. I LOVE, LOVE the idea of appreciating one little thing each day. I look forward to visiting and seeing how the blog turns out.