Thursday, June 22, 2006

I'm either the biggest nerd or the biggest miser

and I don't think it's the latter. I can't even express how excited I was to see the commercial for those Coinstar machines and how you can now get your change counted for free as long as you turn the money into a gift card! I just checked online and the types of gift cards range from Starbucks to Borders to Linens-n-Things to iTunes. Adam and I use all of the above, and what a fun way to "earn" spending money!!!

This is how excited I am: last night I went out to the Escape and dug out all the pennies and dimes and nickels (like I'd leave a quarter just sitting there) in the mug holder. And let me say, there was so much sketch all over the coins...from what else? Spills from various Starbucks delights. Well, those coins are destined for a Starbucks gift card, all for me! YAY!!!

Here's some tips:
*go online to http://www.coinstar.com/US/html/A-home
*then find a Coinstar machine near you by entering in your ZIP code
*a list pulls up of all the machines in your area, BUT WAIT. Not every Coinstar machine is equipped with the giftcard feature. Look under the column "Services"; it must say "Prepaid gift cards" as a service in order to...yeah, get this service. You get the idea.

Anyway, fun, fun, fun! I'm NEVER passing up a penny on the sidewalk again. Ever. 'Bucks, here I come!

4 comments:

Mark Keefer said...

Chana says: We could all combine our spare change and send it in the form of Starbucks gift cards to fight world hunger! Do you think Bono would be proud?

Mark says: What's wrong with being a nerd?

Becky said...

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a nerd! I celebrate my nerdness. I'm surprised at just how nerdy I am sometimes, though. By the way, I turned in all my change and got a Starbucks card for $12.73!!!!!! Yee-haw, that's like...er, 2 Starbucks visits! (Just kidding, more like 3.5)

Anonymous said...

I took your advice and before leaving on vacation rounded up all the change in our house and cars and got $92!! I did take it out in cash to spend on our trip and kind of choked on the 8.something percent you have to pay, but oh well. The amount paid was worth the time it would have taken me to roll all that change!

Becky said...

Holy cow!!! How did all my change only turn into 12 bucks??? How freaking sad for me. But how happy for you! Yay for change!!!