Sunday, May 21, 2006

poor horsie

I was watching the Preakness with my sister Katie and our two nieces Ada and Abby on Saturday evening when we saw with absolute horror that Barbaro, the Derby winner, was pulled up by his jockey and then finally came to a halt, holding up his right rear leg at a very odd angle. The horse was obviously in terrible pain, with the way he gingerly stepped around, and from the panic on everyone's faces, Katie and I had the wretched feeling that he was hurt beyond helping and well...I just didn't want to think about that and still don't. So, I've "checked" on Barbaro twice today, and just minutes ago there was a press release that Barbaro has had surgery and so far, so good. He has a very difficult path to recovery, but I'll be pulling for this horse with all my equine love that he'll make it. He'll never race again, but his trainer would love to use him as a stallion...in other words, maybe in 3-4 years we could see perhaps "Barbaro's Revenge" race at the Preakness! Here's Barbaro, back in his stall, standing on all fours...good luck, friend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One word: Seabiscuit. If there's one thing that I learned from reading that book it's that you can never underestimate a horse's will. They are amazing creatures.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

This is Chana, Mark Keefer's wife with a post of my very own for you. I was just lazily reading a few more posts on your blog and ran into another similarity. I am also deeply touched by horses. My friends will kid me that I find it therapeutic to just be in a horse's presence whether it's to groom them or even scoop poop. I'm going through a very difficult time with this at the moment since I just recently lost contact with a very special horse that I had (probably irresponsibly since he wasn't my horse) bonded with. My parents are in the process of moving from their Texas ranch where I was raised and my dad wants to give me one of the horses. We're looking for a place to board her since we don't live on a ranch (it is southern CA after all--backyards aren't "acreage" like they are in TX).
By the way, the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice is one of my favs. The new version with Keira Knightly was surprisingly pleasing, excellent vistas, but I still prefer Colin Firth. No brainer.
Absolutely LOVE Everafter. Could have it rolling in the background of my life all day and never tire of it. Also dig While You Were Sleeping--my favorite Sandra Bullock flick.
Haven't read a "new" really great love story to my taste lately (although Nicholas Sparks certainly has my respect) so I decided to write my own. It's been an amazingly satisfying creative outlet for an actress with no time to pursue that career since I homeschool and raise 4 kids fulltime.

Anyhoo, enough for now. Blessings on your marriage, your life in general and your Starbucks addiction. I'm personally more of the Chai Tea Latte variety--

Your fellow Jesus Freak,

Chana