Monday, May 08, 2006

church history question

This may be out of the normal scope of my usual bloggings, but lately I've been very interested in the foundations of the Protestant Reformation (a rabbit trail off the path of my quest to prove that the 16th century is perhaps one of the most important in the realm of history...)

Anyhoo...so I've been studying Martin Luther. I have enjoyed reading his work and I'm a big admirer of his courage in facing his enemies and not yielding from what he believed. However, I've run into his writings on the Jews, and wow, it's so NOT cool what he believed about them. The Nazis even used his writings to defend their Final Solution for the Jews!!! So, here's my question.

I am perplexed that God would use a man like Martin Luther to achieve a lot of freedoms and new understanding within the church, so why would God give him such a powerful platform on which to pronounce judgement on His chosen people? This is really a rhetorical question; ie, just share your thoughts instead of trying to answer the question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Gods ways are not our ways and God's thoughts are not our thoughts" I think it is the same idea of how God used very imperfect people to always do His work.