Thursday, April 05, 2007

April is Autism Awareness Month

I'm a few days late in getting this posted, but I'd be quite remiss in my duties as Auntie B if I didn't use this blog as a forum for raising autism awareness, not only for my precious nephew Ethan, but for all the kids who daily struggle with an autism spectrum disorder. The Centers for Disease Control now estimate that the prevalence of autism spectrum disorders occurs in 1 of 150 children. Of course, nobody wants to see any child struggle with this, but to me, that statistic seems of epidemic proportions, so we have to do something now to find a cure!
I just want to take a minute to talk about my little buddy. Ethan is 4 years old and has been in speech and occupational therapy for 2 years now. Our family thanks God for each new achievement and every little bit of progress we see. Through Ethan's hard work, the help of sign language, and the dedication of his parents, grandparents, teachers, therapists, aunts and uncles, Ethan is able to communicate with us. His speech is still quite limited, but with effort, we can understand him and vice versa.
I am so thankful, most of all, for Ethan's sweet spirit. For example, most of the adults in his family have been fighting colds for a few weeks now, and Ethan has taken to asking, "Mama, Mama, you otay (okay)?" if he hears his mommy coughing...or his Pa-pa or Nanna, for that matter. We didn't teach him that...the expression of concern is purely volitional on his part and perfectly demonstrates what a loving little boy he is.
I have all the hope in the world and every reason to believe that Ethan can and will rise above his difficulties and as his daddy says, "prove them all wrong." If anybody can do it, my little buddy can.
I love you Ethan Lee, and I'm so proud of you, every day of your life. You are truly a good and perfect gift from the Father.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had tears in my eyes when I read this post! Christopher and I just got back from taking Ethan home. Thursday night is Ethan night for us, and tonight we spent our time coloring and decorating hard-boiled eggs for Easter, eating jelly beans, and playing Legos. And we had a blast. Ethan just talked and talked and talked - not all of it was intelligible, but a good bit of it was. And he was so excited to dip the eggs in the colors - every time we pulled the eggs out, he ooed and ahhed at the colors like he was watching fireworks on the 4th of July. He is so very precious - every moment that we spend with him is so precious. We are so blessed to have him in our lives.