Friday, June 09, 2006

Golly Moses

My daily Bible study is in the book of Exodus, and I am loving getting the "real story" about Moses and Aaron and Pharoah and the plagues that God sent on Egypt. Thing is, for far too long I had a mental picture of the time of the Exodus as put forth in the movie, The Ten Commandments. Now, that movie is great for a good visual adventure into Bible times, but sheesh, they got a LOT wrong. For one, how did I ever miss the fact that God told Pharoah (via Moses) that He wanted His people set free so "they can worship me in the wilderness"??? I never knew this! I never knew that this was the guiding force behind God's timing on the emancipation of the Israelites. Over and over in Exodus, we read that God did not want His people worshipping in the pagan land of Egypt. And if you know anything about Egyptian history and culture, you know that those folks spent their lives worshipping their gods and preparing for the afterlife. It has really gotten me to thinking on worship. Not so much the geographical nature of it, but how God wants our hearts to be free of external, pagan, sinful influences when we come to Him in a state of worship. How worship is such a holy act!!! Anyway, it's wonderful food for thought that I wanted to share.

I haven't been posting lately because, well, there is a lot of stuff going on in my life right now. And none of it's good, at least from what I can see. I know it will all be worked out for my good in the end, but here, in the middle of it, it feels anything BUT good. Just say a prayer if you think of it. I would appreciate it! In the meantime, my friend Moses is helping a lot. Excellent proof that God's Word is our daily bread, our comfort, our hope, our help. Thank you Jesus, for your Holy Word, given to us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent insight, Be. Christopher and I started reading Daniel together a little bit ago - another story about God's people in a pagan land. We may have to explore Exodus next. One thing I have discovered about reading through the Bible as an adult is that what you read can be so different from things you were taught in Sunday school growing up. Not that teachers purposely deceived us, but a lot of times I feel like I didn't get the whole picture. Maybe it's just because now I read the Bible through a different lens. Before Pastor Ken, I never considered that (a. the entire Bible is about Jesus and only Jesus and (b. the stories of such great "heroes" as Moses, David, etc., are not stories about them at all - if you focus on the man or woman and not God, you totally miss the point. It's all about Him.

Keep posting away, Wormie. I always enjoy reading about what you think.