Friday, February 24, 2006

Spring come soon!

Practically everyone I know prefers autumn above all the other seasons, but not me! I am 100% a spring girl. It's probably because winter is inevitably a time of struggle for me...I have seasonal affective disorder (a quirky condition where a person's mood is drastically affected by the amount of sunlight he/she receives) and I dread the onset of winter, so more than likely I have some odd feelings of resentment toward fall as the harbinger of winter!

Anyway, spring is my favorite season. I've compiled a short list of the reasons why (and there seem to be jillions):
*the unfolding of new life. Flowers, trees, green, green, GREEN! My absolute favorite time in spring is the middle of May when the lilies-of-the-valley have bloomed. Every May I look forward to the random morning when my mom brings me a vase of these precious blooms (they only bloom in May!) as a surprise! They have the most fragrant sweet scent and look like little wedding bells.

*the vernal equinox. This might seem odd, but not really...the vernal equinox signals the change in light to dark ratio of the northern hemisphere. It is at this point that the northern hemisphere logs MORE light hours than dark hours during a 24-hour period, and it will continue this way until the autumnal equinox. Essentially, I get MORE SUNLIGHT!!! Just FYI, this year, the vernal equinox is occurring on March 20th at 6:26 pm, your local time. That's less than a month away!

*birds singing. Again, might seem a bit trivial, but as my family knows, I have this connection with morning doves. Can't explain it, but there's something so deeply comforting about the coo-coo of the doves in the mornings. They seem to be such serene creatures and their sweet sound lends such a soft atmosphere to the day. At our last house, I "had" a dove who I'd coo back and forth with, but alas, she didn't relocate when we did. I actually pray that we have a dove come to nest somewhere near our new place!

*oh, there's so many more reasons (and my favorite reason is yet to appear in my list!)...I don't have time to finish this post right now, so...to be continued!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate birds, I don't like nature, and I have just as many reasons why I don't like sunshine. Are you sure we're related?

Wormie

Becky said...

Oh, I'm still holding out hope that you'll come around. I'm telling you, Woom, you and I were supposed to have been born in England. Me for the "scope for the imagination" and you for the climate and weather!!!

Anonymous said...

B, come visit and meet my doves - I have a group of 7 or 8 that come to my feeder every afternoon. They are gorgeous and I'm sure would be overjoyed (tho' timid at showing it) to meet you, soulmate of their Indy cousin.

Becky said...

Okay, then, you talked me into it. I'm coming up this afternoon (for real!). Watch out little dovies, here I come (and you better coo your little hearts out for me!)!