Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Spotlight on...Leslie!

So I've been thinking that I want to use this blog to shamelessly love on those near and dear to my heart. Therefore, the first "friend featurette" will focus on Leslie McKellar.

Friendship stats:
*met my sophomore year in college. Rather famous story: Leslie, Christa, and myself all signed up for a trip to the Shakespeare Festival in Stratford, Ontario, Canada without really knowing any of the other people going along. By "chance," the three of us shared a seat on the crowded little van and started talking like we'd known each other forever. By the time we arrived at our bed & breakfast in Canada, the 3 of us raced up the stairs to find a bedroom to claim for "just us," which we did. It's really when the 3 of us fell in love with each other. I have a tear right now just thinking about it.
*used to spend long evenings and weekends with Leslie (and Christa) at her parents' condo in Grand Rapids, usually trying to write papers for one of our lit classes. Instead, drank lots of coffee, did too much laughing and talking, only getting down to business around 3 am (paper due at 10 am). Often fell into Leslie's heated waterbed for a few winks before we had to go to chapel at 9 am, only agreeing to get up when Leslie's mom Jan brought down the thermos of, yup, more coffee.
*she was my boss at one point in time. She and Martha Markwat (nee VanderMeyden) were the co-editors of our school newspaper, The Herald, and I was a staff writer. I have to say, Leslie was a hilarious (and terribly non-strict) boss. I'd get to beg off of deadlines all the time, no excuses needed.
*when I decided to move home to Indy middle of my junior year after accepting Adam's proposal of marriage, Leslie and I cried together my entire last night in Grand Rapids. Literally. I can remember crying in her house. In my dorm. In the car. We blubbered our way through the evening.

Current stats:
*lives in Charleston, South Carolina with her black labbie Dignan
*is a photographer (check out her website at www.portrayonline.com), writer, dog-watcher, and sometimes barista
*has a boyfriend, Jay
*has a hilarious brother Mark who can quote the movie "Clue" from beginning to end, has the sweetest dollfaces of parents, Dan and Jan McKellar, and a new sister-in-law
*loves thrift stores and vintage clothes, crossword puzzles, traveling, reading lit, and long walks on the beach. Folly Beach on James Island, that is.

Recent pix!

Me and Leslie













Leslie, contemplative













Leslie, crossword-solvin'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, good golly miss molly, i've made my way to the web. our friendship is like nectar to me, b!

Samuel R. Sinclair said...

Do you have Leslie McKellar's email address? I am an old friend of Leslie and Dana Bolt, just trying to resurface and say hello. You can email me at samuelraysinclair@gmail.com. We are old friends from college, we met a Caedmon's Call Guild weekend in Texas.

Thanks,

Sam