Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Contentment

I've been thinking about contentment today. As in, why do I struggle with a restless spirit? Is it part of my personality, or do we all struggle with it? If everyone fights it, why do we not admit it to each other and talk about it? Is it just the "grass is greener" principle, or is it just a feeling of anticipation for the future, of the parts of life yet to be lived? I think it's the latter. I don't feel like I compare myself to others so much anymore (a bad habit I'm working to completely eradicate!)...in my mind, it really is a matter of craving blessings directly from God's hands. I know He's in charge, I believe fully in His providential care. But believing in God's total sovereignty has an edge to it...you have to acknowledge that you're not in control, so that everything good you want out of life can only come from Him (every good and perfect gift...). Which means, all the good stuff happens on God's calendar and NOT on yours...er, mine. It can be frustrating, to say the least. However, looking back over my life, I'm glad God was in charge and not me. I've received many blessings that I would not have purposely chosen. I mean, think about it this way: if there were a store of blessings, and all the blessings were boxed up, pretty and shiny, arranged neatly in rows, and you had plenty of cash to buy up all the blessings to fill up a lifetime, I would have filled my shopping cart...well, with a lot of things that I haven't ended up with. I would have selected blessings based on my own vanity and selfishness...who wouldn't pick out "wealth" and "beauty" and "wisdom"? But who would willingly pick out "mission work"? Certainly not Becky; at least not the Becky I was a couple of years ago! But see, that's exactly my point. I love the fact that God is in charge. Even though He's denied me one of the greatest blessings in life...it's such a pretty blessing...it's in one of those glass counters, like where they keep the designer handbags...He has given me a few surprises along the way.

Well, even though that was rambling, I guess my thought for the evening is that true contentment lies in counting your blessings...especially the ones you would never have chosen for yourself...and waiting patiently for the next blessing waiting around the bend...even if it's not what you would choose.

Psalm 37:7a says,

7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him...

this is my prayer tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fabulous remindar of what is truly important. I was just talking with my roomie about this exact principle over dinner last night. If we refuse to move on in our life based on a blessing we expect we are so blind to the many blessings God is trying to give us that are just as precious. Society blinds us to what is really important and Satan tempts us right back to that "place of want". But God tells us to think on what is pure and lovely and true and right and praiseworthy and virtuous. It is my daily prayer. What I "don't have" is not included in that list. As you said, "Wait patiently..." And one must not forget that we are to do that without complaining :)

Terri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Terri said...

Interesting thoughts, Becky. Our flesh is a daily battle that everyone struggles with, though we all struggle in different ways. I do think this concept is one that MOST people deal with, however.

An example in my life of a greater blessing that came over one I thought I was getting started before we moved out here. We were in the beginning stages of building a home to raise our family in. Though, neither one of us felt 100% peaceful about it, we still pressed on. It was something we wanted. Long story short...God closed that door and said a big fat NO! Moved us out here to MT to a 800 sq. ft. rental with the furnace in the kitchen! Oh boy! God's blessing for me was in the lesson He was teaching me. Materialism is NOT what is important in this life. Relationship with Him and bringing others to Him is. He was also teaching me contentment in ALL circumstances. I'm SO THANKFUL we never built that house. We would have missed out on the greatest blessings God had for us! Obedience and patience through the trials are what matters. We may still be blessed with the joy of building a home...and possibly sooner than later...but only when God blesses us with this opportunity and He opens the door REALLY wide!

I really liked your scenario about things being packages in a store. Thanks for your thoughts! :)