Tuesday, February 28, 2006



A tribute to my favorite movie...BBC's adaptation of Jane Eyre


I just finished watching this again last night, for the umpteenth-zillionth time. I think I watched it for the first time when I was about 14-15 years old, and talk about a formative experience...this movie could probably claim at least 30% of the reason why I became an English major in college. I remember thinking, if there are other stories out there like this, then YES, I think I should read literature for school and maybe one day get paid to read stuff like this?!?

Alas, it didn't work out quite that way (I spend my days reading medical documents and learning more about diabetes than 19th century authors and their brilliant works of art...) and I truly have yet to find a novel that even comes close to this book, but that's okay. It put me on the right path, and it is my absolute delight to revisit this book/movie whenever I'm feeling lowly. (Sense and Sensibility does that too...)


p.s. -- It doesn't get any better than this, kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Do you doubt me, Jane?"

"Entirely."

"Have you no faith in me?"

"Not a wit."

"Am I a liar in your eyes?! What love have I for Miss Ingram? None, and that you know. What love has she for me? I will never marry that mercenary. You. . .you strange, you almost unearthly thing. I love you as my own flesh."

Swoon, swoon, swoon!!! Pride and Prejudice still has to rank as my number one, but Jane Eyre is just the teeniest-tiniest smidge away from that top spot in my affections. I remember renting it practically every other week! Nearly every time we went to the library, I would see you carrying that videotape around. I just watched it again over the holidays, and it still has the same affect on me. For me, Elizabeth Bennett and Jane Eyre are the measuring sticks by which every literary heroine must be held up to. And Mr. Rochester ... the epitome of the dark, brooding, tortured Romantic soul, so perfectly captured by Timothy Dalton, for whom a special place in my heart will ALWAYS be reserved! I could go on forever. Needless to say, I share your sentiments 100%.

Wormie

P.S.: Let's hook up and watch it together! It's no fun watching it with Christopher! Boys just don't get it.

Becky said...

"So, you shut yourself up and grieve alone. But...I was wrong. You haven't cried at all. You're passionate, I expected a scene...the hot rain of tears, but I wanted them on my breast."

"You know I'm a scoundrel, Jane?"

"Yes sir."

"Then tell me so, roundly and sharply!"

Ahhhhhhhhhh. Do you think perhaps I'm so enchanted by that story because I am Charlotte Bronte reincarnated!?!? hahaha.

Yes, we have to watch it together. Every time I have it on, Adam never fails to ask some silly question or make some remark that makes me feel like Jane Eyre is too private a movie to view in front of him!!!