Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Crocking up

Do tell me, is there anything better on a dreary January day than knowing you have a delicious pot roast slow-cooking at home while you slog through your workday??? I think not! Here is a recipe that Dawn Hawkins gave me a couple of years ago (which I modified a tad per our preferences):

a black Angus chuck roast
5-7 baby red potatoes, depending on size
a small bag of baby carrots or 5-7 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix

Rub salt and pepper onto the roast and place in crockpot; sprinkle half the packet of soup mix on top of roast. Wash potatoes and add to pot; wash, peel, and cut carrots and add to pot. Sprinkle remaining half of soup mix on top of veggies, then add 1 cup of water to the mix. (I will usually put a bit more water in, depending on how long we'll be gone during the day.) Cook on low setting for at least 8 hours; I usually cook for about 10 hours.
Dawn's recipe calls for 1 can cream of mushroom soup, which you would stir into the broth 1/2 hour before serving, but Adam and I like the meat and taters, straight up!
The aroma will fill your whole house and make you feel cozy and warm, and the meat is absolutely delicious. Happy crocking!

No comments: